Telling empowering stories, South Africans want to hear

Thursday, 04 July 2024 13:12

Jub Jub a free man - no reasonable prospects of a successful prosecution.

By Lehlohonolo Lehana.

@official_jubjub.

TV host and musician Molemo "Jub Jub" Maarohanye's charges were withdrawn by the state in the Johannesburg Magistrates Court on Thursday, 4 July.

Maarohanye was arrested in July last year and was facing 13 charges, including rape, attempted murder, assault and kidnapping.

He was released on bail of R10,000 and has denied all charges.

During court proceedings on Thursday, the state prosecutor told magistrate Betty Khumalo that all charges against Maarohanye have been withdrawn.

The withdrawal of the charges comes after Maarohanye made representations to the office of the director of public prosecutions to have the charges against him withdrawn.

Maarohanye's lawyer, attorney Terrence Ntsako Baloyi, welcomed the withdrawal of the charges.

According to the NPA, one of the four complainants opened a case of rape in February last year and alleged the incidents happened between 2006 and 2009 while she was in a relationship with him.

"She decided to approach the police following Maarohanye's degrading comments about her on a podcast," said the NPA.

"After seeing her speaking out about her ordeal on social media, more women decided that it was time to come forward and tell their stories."

Speaking to the media after the withdrawal of the charges, Maarohanye said he was over the moon.

"I feel relieved. The truth always prevails. It is finally over. I can get my life back. I lost a lot. I lost a lot of money, time and respect," Maarohanye said.

"I was called all sorts of names. I am happy that my family, legal team and everybody else came to support me. I am happy."

The NPA announced that it was dropping its charges against Maarohanye in a letter to Baloyi dated June 20, 2024, and written by TJ Mbodi, the acting deputy director of public prosecutions for the Gauteng local division in Johannesburg.

"After careful perusal of the above-mentioned police case docket together with the relevant prosecutors' reports read in conjunction with your representation, this office has decided to withdraw the charges against the accused [Maarohanye] as there are no reasonable prospects of a successful prosecution.

"In view of the above-mentioned, your representation is therefore successful, and the criminal case against the accused must be withdrawn," Mbodi said.

The acting chief public prosecutor has been advised accordingly."

NPA spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane explained the reasons for the withdrawal of charges.

"This decision follows careful consideration of the police case docket, the prosecutor's report and recommendations, coupled with information that was made available to the NPA through representations submitted by the defence to the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

"The office of the DPP concluded that there are no reasonable prospects of a successful prosecution. As a result, the sensible thing to do was to withdraw the charges of rape, attempted murder and assault against Maarohanye."