In a virtual meeting of the CAA Southern Region 5 Executive Meeting held on 1 July 2021 and after much deliberation, a decision was taken to cancel the 2021 Athletics Season of the region, due to the non-availability of hosts and the ongoing battle against Covid 19 in the region.
The executive took note of the ongoing Covid 19 pandemic that has had a negative impact on athletics, other sporting codes and on the order of life over the past 15 months in our region and throughout the world.
In its entirety our region, in particular, is one of hardest hit and is currently experiencing an unprecedented upsurge in the virus led by various new mutant strains that are spreading faster with different behaviour.
This has seen individual countries desperately trying to contain second and third waves of the pandemic, by constantly ordering lockdowns and restricting movement of people, gatherings and sporting activities.
The following are resolutions of the meeting and are effective immediately to all members of the region:
- All CAASR 5 events and championships that were scheduled to take place this year are forthwith cancelled. The executive has advised members to focus on organising competitions in their countries within the laws that permit the activities to take place as prescribed by their governments.
- The only outstanding multi-code competition is the AUSC 5 Youth Games, which is not controlled by CAA Region 5, which is scheduled for December 4- 14, 2021 in Lesotho. Participation at this competition is voluntary and members who will participate are urged to liaise with their respective governments and must fulfil the requirements in order to participate. These will be shared with members in due course.
- Members have been called upon to focus on planning and preparation for the next season by submitting their 2022 National Calendars to the Secretary General of the Region by close of business on 30 August 2021, so that they can be shared between members.
- Member Federations are required to submit their interest or bids to host the CAASR 5 Championships for the following: Cross Country, Track and Field u18&20, Track and Field Seniors, Relays, 10 km, 5 km and 21,1 km Championships. Members are also invited to bid to host open and invitational labelled events including Gold, Silver and Bronze Level Continental Events as defined by the World Athletics.
- Finally, everyone is reminded to observe all health protocols of COVID 19 by washing of hands, sanitising, wearing of masks, sneezing on the elbow, greeting with feet or elbow and maintaining social distancing.