Department of Sport hits back at calls to open up stadiums.
By Lehlohonolo Lehana.
Minister of sport Nathi Mthethwa says high-level government discussions are under way to explore the possibility of increasing the number of spectators allowed at stadiums.
Mthethwa also hit back at recent persistent calls by certain figures for government to reopen up stadiums saying they are "uninformed".
Economic Freedom Front leader Julius Malema has this week be strongly advocating for fans to return to stadiums to watch PSL games.
"Next week Thursday we are picketing at the Department of Sport to demand that it must suggest to that counsel (PSL) that the stadiums must be opened even if it is opened to limited numbers, we don’t care. If there are no results with that picket, we are going to Safa and the PSL (to picket)," said Malema.
Mthethwa, however, responded last night in a statement.
"The Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, Nathi Mthethwa, has taken note of numerous public announcements advocating for the opening of stadiums," read the statement.
"Regrettably, such calls are uninformed in light of the ongoing action taken by the DSAC over the last few months to enable access to stadiums, in a manner that protects both lives and livelihoods."
Mthethwa also pointed out that 2000 fans have been allowed to attend matches since October 2021.
"Success factors record following this approach include numerous games last year such as Bafana Bafana vs Ethiopia, Bafana Bafana vs Zimbabwe and the MTN8 … final," added the statement.
Mthethwa once again appealed to South Africans to be vaccinated against Covid-19 and allow the process to run its course as vaccination levels have not yet reached the desired goal.