Ria Ledwaba's court interdict to stop SAFA elections dismissed.
By Lehlohonolo Lehana.
The South African Football Association (Safa) presidential elections are set to go ahead on June 25 as scheduled.
On the eve of her manifesto, after her clearance alongside incumbent Danny Jordaan and Solly Mohlabeng, Ledwaba served court papers seeking an interdict of the Safa Elective Congress.
This comes after judge Branda Neukircher of the Pretoria High Court ruled that Ria Ledwaba’s application must be struck off the roll due to lack of urgency.
In her reasons, Ledwaba said she felt that the timing of the elections was off, while they had only three weeks to canvas for their campaigns.
Meanwhile, Safa chief executive Tebogo Motlantle welcomed the ruling of judge Neukircher on Wednesday.
"Safa welcomes the decision of the Pretoria High Court to dismiss the application brought by Ria Ledwaba," Motlanthe said in a statement from the association.
"The association will continue with the preparations for the Safa Elective Congress on June 25 and we are happy with the decision."
On Wednesday morning, a handful of South African Masters and Legends Football Association (SAMLFA) members picketed outside the Safa House for a second march in less than a month.
In their first march, late last month, SAMLFA delivered a memorandum to a Fifa delegate, Fani David who is based at Safa House, where they wrote their grievances about the current leadership of the association.
Having received no answer in more than 15 days, the SAMLFA members braved the cold Johannesburg weather and picketed outside Safa House, singing songs of struggles that were directed at Jordaan.
"We want them (Fifa) to intervene in the manner in which Sfa is running our football; they are not doing justice," SAMLFA spokesperson Pepe Dire said.