Photo Credit:Getty Images.
Premier League clubs have unanimously voted to resume contact training as 'Project Restart' moves to phase two.
Players will be able to "train as a group and engage in tackling while minimising unnecessary close contact," a statement said.
Discussions continue on plans to resume the season when "conditions allow", it added.
Premier League players and staff will continue to be tested twice a week for coronavirus.
So far eight people have tested positive after 1,744 tests across the league. The third round of results is expected to be released on Wednesday.
The decision to return to contact training was agreed following consultation with clubs, players, managers, the Professional Football Association (PFA), the League Managers Association (LMA) and the government.
Plans for the third phase of Project Restart include a step towards normal training and build-up to competitive games.
It is understood no significant issues were raised during those calls, with one source describing the calls as "completely different to last week's call when several players expressed serious concerns about a return to football".
Players were told that the Premier League and the government have committed to further research into the risk to those from BAME backgrounds compared to other groups.
That paved the way for Premier League clubs to vote yes to resuming contact training.
The Premier League said in a statement: "Premier League Shareholders today voted unanimously to resume contact training, marking another step towards restarting the Premier League season, when safe to do so.