Image: Sikhulule Nkomphela.
History was made yesterday when the first ball of the SAFA National Women’s League was kicked at the Nike Football Training Centre in Pimville, Soweto.
After months of planning, the dream was finally realised when the first whistle of the new league was launched on the 22nd of August 2019.
Gauteng has three teams, while the Free State has two and the rest have one each.
Here are the participating teams:
* TUT-PTA Gauteng (Sasol League National Champions)
* University of Western Cape Western Cape
* Richmond Ladies Northern Cape
* Golden Ladies North West
* Coal City Wizards Mpumalanga
* Durban Ladies KwaZulu Natal
* First Touch Academy Limpopo
* Thunderbirds Eastern Cape
* Bloemfontein Celtic Free State
– Mamelodi Sundowns Ladies Gauteng
– University of Johannesburg Gauteng
– Tsunami Queens Free State
While Banyana Banyana captain Janine van Wyk has signed for Danish side Fortuna Hjorring, joining a list of other national team players already plying their trade overseas – Leandra Smeda and Stephanie Malherbe (both Sweden), Jermaine Seoposenwe and Nothando Vilakazi (Lithuania), Rhoda Mulaudzi (Cyprus), Letago Modiba and Rachel Sebati (Belarus) as well as Regina Mogolola (Serbia).
This is Van Wyk’s second stint abroad as she was on the books of Houston Dash in the USA at the end of 2018.