Wednesday, 23 December 2020 00:05

Staff Reporter.

Manchester City piled on the misery for Arsenal to reach the Carabao Cup semi-finals with a ruthless performance at Emirates Stadium.

There were barely two minutes on the clock when Gabriel Jesus nodded City ahead, the Brazil forward completely unmarked inside the six-yard area when he met Oleksandr Zinchenko's cross.

The Gunners were desperate for the first 25 minutes, French defender Aymeric Laporte heading a great chance wide before the hosts levelled with their first serious attempt.

Nineteen-year-old Brazilian forward Gabriel Martinelli provided an excellent cross for Alexandre Lacazette to head home but City, unbeaten in the competition since October 2016, scored twice in five second-half minutes to seal victory.

Keeper Runar Alex Runarsson allowed Riyad Mahrez's free-kick to squirm through his gloves and into the net before Phil Foden added the third with a dink over Arsenal's Iceland stopper.

Foden looked offside after Fernandinho's pass but with no video assistant referee system in operation, the goal was allowed to stand.

There was nothing controversial about City's fourth goal, Laporte meeting Foden's lovely curling cross to head home unmarked.

Meanwhile Pep Guardiola says it would be a "big mistake" for Arsenal to sack manager Mikel Arteta after Manchester City's 4-1 win over the Gunners.

"I'm pretty sure they are going to trust him," said Guardiola when asked if Arsenal need to stick with Arteta.

"They will do a big mistake if they are thinking [of dismissing him]."

Arteta said on the eve of the last-eight tie with City that he has no plans to walk away from his job and feels he has the support of the club.

The former Arsenal captain won the FA Cup in his first season in charge and his side then beat Premier League champions Liverpool in the Community Shield at the end of August.

But they have been poor in 2020-21 and languish in 15th spot in the top flight, four points above the relegation zone and without a win in seven league games.