Mabuyane takes the Public Protector's damning report on judicial review.
By Lehlohonolo Lehana.
Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane is set to take the damning findings of the Public Protector (PP) against him, on judicial review.
On Friday, Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane released findings that Mabuyane received R450 000 meant for the memorial service of the late Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.
Her report found that the money was spent on renovations at Mabuyane’s home.
The probe emanated from a complaint by Xolile Mashukuca, a resident of the Buffalo City Municipality, who alleged that funds meant for the memorial service were misused by provincial leaders and Mbizana Municipality officials.
In a statement, Mabuyane said he has instructed his legal representatives to take the report on judicial review because it ignored substantial information that sought to respond to the allegations levelled against him.
"He has further instructed his legal counsel to urgently interdict the implementation of the remedial actions," the statement read.
Mkhwebane found that at least R1.1 million meant for the memorial service was misused. She also found that ANC Eastern Cape treasurer Babalo Madikizela had pocketed R350 000 from the tender, and that the money had been paid into his wife's account. The coffers of the ANC in the province were bolstered, with R250 000 deposited into its FNB bank account.
Spokesperson for the African National Congress (ANC) Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) in the Eastern Cape, Loyiso Magqashela, says Mabuyane is not "convinced" by the contents in the report.
"This matter of the Public Protector’s report regarding the beneficiation by the Provincial Chairperson (Mabuyane) has been taken for a judicial review by the Provincial Chairperson and his legal team. Because he’s not convinced with the facts that are connoted in that, he wants further consideration that is judicial."
Mkhwebane has asked the Hawks to investigate possible criminal charges and prosecution.