Tuesday, 14 January 2020 14:14

 

The Department of Education in Gauteng is optimistic that it will have close to a full house across all schools on Wednesday when the academic year resumes.

MEC Panyaza Lesufi briefed the media on the admission process for grades 1 and 8 in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

Lesufi has assured parents that it’s all systems go.

"When school bells rings across the province, 99.2 per cent of those children will be in the classroom. The remaining 0.8 per cent is purely because of late registration, outstanding documentation and other matters that we cannot explain," said Lesufi.

"We are quite convinced they will respond to that school bell tomorrow and the remaining 0.8, because we are opening the online or the late registration, all of them will respond to that school bell come the 31st of January."

He added that only a small portion of pupils will not be in school while the department resolves the remaining placement disputes.

The MEC urged parents to make use of the late registration portal to ensure placement.