Monday, 05 August 2019 14:20

 

 

 

Presidency spokesperson Khusela Diko says that President Cyril Ramaphosa did not commit any crime and was, and is, under no obligation to declare the donors to his 2017 ANC presidential campaign.

Diko was responding to a weekend report by News 24 that revealed leaked emails from the CR17 campaign which showed that Ramaphosa was consulted by his campaign managers on certain potential donors, despite consistent denials that he was involved in the fundraising efforts of the campaign.

Diko said the narrative emerging around these emails was nothing more than "smoke and mirrors" and maintained that Ramaphosa had been honest over his involvement in the campaign’s finances.

"We are quite perturbed by the narrative being built around these emails. Yes, we appreciate that South Africans have a legitimate right to want to know who funded the campaign, but there was no obligation on the part of the president or the campaign to release that particular information," Diko said.