Thursday, 12 May 2022 11:23

Alleged arsonist Zandile Mafe’s case postponed to June.

Staff Reporter.

The case against suspected Parliament arsonist Zandile Christmas Mafe has been postponed to June.

The Cape Town Magistrate's Court on Thursday granted the state a four-week postponement after prosecutor Mervyn Menigo indicated that some forensic reports were still outstanding.

Mafe's case was previously postponed in March, as the state's investigators needed more time to assess the crime scene.

During the court proceedings, Magistrate Michelle Adams postponed the case yet again to 9 June, ordering that Mafe remain in custody.

His bail appeal application was heard at the Western Cape High Court last month, in which the judgment was reserved.

Mafe's attorney Luvuyo Godla criticised the state for the latest delay in the case, but the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has defended itself.

Speaking to the media outside the court, NPA Western Cape spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said the reports that the state is waiting for would be ready in Mafe's next appearance.

Ntabazalila also said the state will have to serve Mafe with an indictment.

Mafe is facing charges of terrorism, arson, theft and housebreaking with intent to steal, among others.