Former SAA chair Dudu Myeni corruption case postponed to February 2024.
By Lehlohonolo Lehana.
The corruption and fraud case of former SAA board chair Dudu Myeni and Sondolo IT director Trevor Mathenjwa has been postponed to February 9, 2024.
Myeni and Mathenjwa made a brief appearance in the Richards Bay Magistrate's Court on Friday morning after the matter had postponed in September for disclosure of the case docket.
The pair is facing fraud and corruption charges, arising from dodgy dealings at Bosasa amounting to over R300 000.
Myeni stands accused of benefitting, among others, from security upgrades to her home worth R200,000 and lavish travel and accommodation for her and those close to her worth more than R107,000.
It has been alleged this was done through Mathenjwa, whose Sondolo IT company was a subsidiary of Bosasa, at the time she was an executive at SAA.
In a statement, the Investigating Directorate's Sindisiwe Seboka said the state had on Friday disclosed the contents of the docket at the Richards Bay magistrate's court in KwaZulu-Natal.
"The pair face charges of corruption and fraud of over R300,000 for gratifications offered and received from Bosasa and its subsidiary Sondolo IT," Seboka said.
"The charges stem from Myeni's security upgrades to her Richards Bay premises during May 2014 to March 2015, to the value of R200k.
"She is further accused of benefiting from hotel accommodation and travel expenses for her and persons close to her, from Bosasa, facilitated by Blake Travels, between May 2014 and March 2015 for over R107k.
Myeni was also implicated during State Capture investigations when former Bosasa chief operating officer Angelo Agrizzi alleged he met Myeni on five occassions — including once in a boardroom at the InterContinental at OR Tambo airport in the presence of former SAA acting CEO, Nico Bezuidenhout.
Testifying before the State Capture Commission in March 2019, Agrizz also testified that he had accompanied his former boss, Gavin Watson, to a meeting with Myeni during which there was a discussion about Bosasa taking over a security tender as well as a catering contract.
Myeni, he previously testified, was the recipient of a Louis Vuitton handbag courtesy of Bosasa, stuffed with monthly payments of R300 000 in cash.
Agrizzi also reconfirmed that his understanding of the R300,000 payments to Myeni was for “onward” payment to the Jacob Zuma Foundation.
In May 2020, a high court declared Myeni a delinquent director and banned her for life from holding any directorship position. She was further ordered to abadon all her directorships, including her roles as SAA chairperson, executive chairperson of the Jacob Zuma Foundation and deputy chairperson of Free State electricity distribution company Centlec.
In April 2021, the Supreme Court of Appeal dismissed one of her two appeals against the delinquent-for-life ruling.