Two children in North West died from suspected food poisoning.
SA Police Services in Brits, North West have opened an inquest docket for investigation after two children died after eating pap and chicken feet.
The children aged three and ten reportedly ate the meal on Friday and were declared dead on Saturday, 18 November.
They began vomiting after eating the home-cooked meal over the weekend.
One child died at the scene while and the other died at the hospital.
Police spokesperson Sabata Mokgwabone says it is alleged that a 32-year-old woman cooked meal (pap, chicken feet and wheat) for the family, on Friday, 17 November 2023, at Regorogile in Sonop outside Brits.
"All the family members and their neighbours' three children ate the meal and everybody went to sleep."
"According to information at our disposal, the children became ill and vomited in the early hours of Saturday morning, an ambulance was called, but one of the children was declared dead at the scene while others including the neighbours' kids as well as the woman who cooked the meal, were taken to Brits Hospital.
"Regrettably, the second child died at the hospital while two other children were later transferred to George Mukhari Hospital."
Mokgwabone said collection and testing of food samples are underway.
There have been a number of incidents across the country where children have been ill as a result of the consumption of contaminated food.
Compiled by Lehlohonolo Lehana.