Senzo Meyiwa murder accused tells court of alleged assault.
By Lehlohonolo Lehana.
Bongani Ntanzi, one of the accused in the murder case of former Bafana Bafana goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa, stepped onto the witness stand for the first time on Thursday to present his perspective on certain events.
Ntanzi is the defence's second witness to testify in a trial-within-a-trial in the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria.
The trial-within-a-trial, which started in October 2022, seeks to determine the admissibility of confession statements, pointing out and warning statements by the accused.
It was previously heard in court that Ntanzi was being investigated by the police in connection to Meyiwa's murder when it was discovered that he was a suspect in a drug-dealing case in Vosloorus and a murder case in Nongoma, KwaZulu-Natal prior to his arrest on 16 June 2020.
The accused was apprehended in Phokeng, North West by Sergeant Vusimuzi Mogane, who was accompanied by the late Sergeant Steven Mabena.
Ntanzi testified in his evidence-in-chief about the details of his arrest, saying the police mistakenly identified him and referred to him as "Siyanda" when they arrived at his home in Freedom Park.
The accused told the court Mogane requested for his ID before he took two of his cellphones.
"He looked at the phones, took out his phone, made a call and then my phone rang. That's when he said go and get dressed we are looking for you," Ntanzi said.
He insisted that Mabena slapped him in the face for asking questions as he was being handcuffed by Mogane.
"I kept on asking as to what is happening. Mabena then said to me I should not ask them sh*t."
Ntanzi denied Mogane's evidence that he was arrested for the Nongoma murder case.
"I heard that for the first time here in court."
The accused then testified about the three-hour interview that took place in a boardroom at Pretoria North police station on 17 June.
The accused also denied that he was bought food from Wimpy as per Mogane's testimony.
"They never bought food and I heard Mogane when he testified about. How were they going to buy food for me when they had told me that they heard that I was disrespectful."
Ntanzi insisted that the police made several stops in locations, including a dumping site, where he was assaulted and forced to confess.
"I was even bleeding by the nose as a result of the object that was being used [to beat me up]."
He also maintained that he was assaulted in the presence of lead investigator Brigadier Bongani Gininda before being forced to sign a confession statement at Moroka Police Station on 19 June.
Ntanzi said he confessed after he was shown a photo in an identikit resembling him and as his alibi couldn't be verified.
He denied these claims.
"Its not true, I never confessed to anything. I saw the identikit for the first time here in court," he said.
Five men are on trial for the murder of Meyiwa who was shot at the home of his girlfriend and singer Kelly Khumalo on 26 October 2014. The men are Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya, Ntanzi, Mthobisi Prince Mncube, Mthokoziseni Maphisa and Fisokuhle Nkani Ntuli.
The men face charges of premeditated murder, attempted murder, robbery with aggravated circumstances, possession of firearms without a licence, and possession of ammunition. They have all pleaded not guilty.
Watch Live in the video below:
Video Courtesy of ENCA.