Tuesday, 03 September 2019 06:32

Image: Reuters.

The prime minister of the Bahamas has posted an update on Twitter, reiterating what he said at his media briefing, that so far there have been five confirmed deaths in Abaco and that the hurricane which is expected to continue to batter Grand Bahama Island for “many more hours” is a “historic tragedy”.

“We know that there are a number of people in serious distress. We pray for their safety and will provide relief and assistance as soon as possible,” he said.

Hurricane Dorian has also caused more than 1,300 flights to be cancelled within, as well as into and out of, the US.