Friday, 02 October 2020 19:32

 

Photo Credit:GCIS.

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize is denying receiving funds from businessman Edwin Sodi.

"I wish to categorically state I have never received any funds from Mr Sodi, either personally or through a third party intended for my personal benefit. I can confirm that during my tenure as the ANC treasurer-general, Mr Sodi, just like many other business persons, companies and organisations made donations to the ANC,"Mkhize said in a statement on Friday.

He said when he took over as treasurer-general, Sodi’s contacts were available in the ANC donors database as one of the people who had previously donated to the ANC.

Mkhize said Sodi either directly or through his entities made the following donations to the ANC:

  • R3m on February 28 2014;
  • R3.5m on April 3 2014;
  • R1.5m on Sept  29 2015 and;
  • R150,000 on January 8 2016.

"I once again state categorically that the above payments were deposited directly into the ANC’s official bank accounts, I therefore can only assume that the name Zweli Mkhize was used by the donor as a reference, given my capacity at the time as the treasurer-general."

He also said he never interacted with Sodi at a personal level.

Sodi is facing corruption charges relating to the controversial Free State asbestos project.

Meanwhile the Asset Forfeiture Unit has obtained a court order to seize assets worth about R300m belonging to seven people implicated in the multimillion-rand asbestos corruption case.

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Sipho Ngwema said on Friday the unit was looking to seize household goods, cars and other removable goods.

"They are prohibited from making any changes, sell or transfer ownership of the property without the consent of the curator and in consultation with the AFU. They must, however, at any stage make the property available for inspection to the curator or a representative of the AFU," he added.

Sodi, whose address is captured as Bryanston in Johannesburg, was released on R500 000 bail.

His six co-accused were all granted R100 000 bail each. They include Nthimotse Mokhesi, head of department, Free State human settlements; Mahlomola John Matlakala, director supply chain management at the human settlement department; Sello Joseph Radebe, a businessman from Fourways, Johannesburg and Abel Kgotso Manyeki, a businessman from Clubview, Pretoria.

Completing the list is Thabane Zulu, the former director-general of national department of human settlements and Olly Mlamleli, the former MEC of human settlements in Free State and a former mayor of Mangaung.

The state alleges that fraud to the value of R255 million was committed in the appointment of Blackhead Consultants in 2014 as service provider to the department of human settlements in the Free State for the "assessment and removal of asbestos roofs and/or housing".

The seven appeared along five companies Blackhead Consulting, Diamond Hill Trading 71 (Pty) Ltd, 605 Consulting Solutions (Pty) Ltd, Mastertrade 232 (Pty) Ltd, and Ori Group (Pty) Ltd.