The detectives from the Provincial Organised Crime Unit arrested three men and seized a 9mm pistol at KwaNdengezi following the execution style murders of four young men last week.
On Saturday, 26 September 2020, police at KwaNdengezi received a report of four men who were killed at Zwelibomvu Reserve near Olwambeni Primary School sport grounds. The four men aged between 17 and 24, were all shot in the upper body. Information from the community indicated that the men were accused of stock theft, which may have contributed to their death. A murder docket was registered at the KwaNdengezi police station and assigned to the Provincial Organised Crime Unit for investigation.
Following a rigorous investigation, detectives swooped on the three suspects, aged between 46 and 49, who were arrested at their homes at KwaNdengezi yesterday. A 9mm pistol was also seized as part of the investigation. All three men are expected to appear at the KwaNdengezi Magistrates’ Court on Monday, 5 October 2020 for murder. Detectives have not ruled out the possibility of more arrests.
The Acting KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Commissioner, Major General Thulani Gonya welcomed the breakthrough. "These arrests are very positive and we will unleash the full might of the law on these callous murderers," he said.
In a separate incident,four more escapees were re-arrested within 11 hours of the escape.
The re-arrest of first suspect, aged 21 was effected within five hours of escape while the four were captured in and around Elliot between midnight and early morning about 5am.
All the suspects will appear in the Elliot Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 5 October 2020 facing the charges they were arrested for and a further charges of escaping from lawful custody will be added.
Police are on the heels of the two escapees still at large;
1. Dumisanu Tom
2. Sfundo Sothondoshe
Eastern Cape Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant General Liziwe Ntshinga expressed her delight with the re-arrest within hours of escape. "I am elated that the Task Team heeded my call to compromise rest and sleep in pursuit of the escapees. We are also very delighted with the help, the calls of support and valuable information from the law abiding citizens and when we work together we achieve more,"she said.
She added that the arrest of the two outstanding escapees must be as soon as possible. "Pursue and apprehend the two outstanding suspects to put our community at ease," she added.
Anyone with information on the whereabouts of the two remaining escapees is urged to share information anonymously by calling Investigation Officer, Detective Sgt Lifa Gqosha on 082 8132 217. Information can also be shared on SAPS Crime Stop 08600 10111 or My SAPS App. All shared information will be treated strict confidentially.