Saturday, 21 September 2019 07:06

The US will deploy additional troops and military equipment to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to beef up security,as President Donald Trump has at least for now decided against any immediate military strikes in response to attacks on the Saudi oil industry.

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said this is a first step, and he is not ruling out additional moves down the road. He said it's a response to requests from the Saudis and the UAE to help improve their air and missile defences.

Esper and General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said details of the deployments will be determined over the coming days.

Saudi and US officials have said that evidence shows Iranian involvement in last weekend's attacks,the allegation Tehran denies. 

And Trump said that he believed his military restraint so far showed "strength," as he instead imposed another round of economic sanctions on Tehran.

"Because the easiest thing I could do, 'Okay, go ahead. Knock out 15 different major things in Iran.' ... But I’m not looking to do that if I can," Trump told reporters at the White House."

 

Source: News Agencies