Tuesday, 22 December 2020 15:49

Staff Reporter.

Photo Credit: Veli Nhlapo.

The High Court in Pretoria has dismissed former SAA board chairperson, Dudu Myeni's leave to appeal her delinquency judgment.

Myeni's application for new evidence has also been dismissed.

Both applications were dismissed with costs.

In May 2020, Judge Ronel Tolmay of the North Gauteng High Court ruled against Myeni in the delinquency case brought against her, determining that she should never again occupy a director’s position at any company for the rest of her days after she oversaw the airlines monumental collapse. 

The Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse brought the initial application to have her declared a delinquent director.

Outa's Wayne Duvenage: "I think this is important for South Africa to see the rule of law working and that people are held accountable for their conduct, as we know that SAA is in a dire situation, and largely, a lot of that was due to the role that Dudu Myeni played during her tenure as the chairperson."

"There was a lot of evidence of her acting recklessly against the Companies Act and having her declared a delinquent director means she cannot be a director of a private or state owned company at any time, "he said. 

"Going back to 2017 when we started building the case, we were in the midst of state capture and the NPA was reluctant to challenge those who had been remiss in their duties at state owned enterprises, so we felt as a civil action organisation that it was necessary to apply other mechanisms to hold people to account, "he said. 

He said that the ruling must be applied with force, and said that they will keep close tabs on her career path going forward. 

They accused her of plunging the SAA into financial chaos while she was board chairperson.