Tuesday, 23 February 2021 15:46

Staff Reporter.

The state capture inquiry has been granted a three-month extension by the Pretoria high court.

It will now have until June 30 to deliver its report to President Cyril Ramaphosa.

Judge Nomonde Mngqibisa-Thusi granted the order in court on Tuesday morning after the inquiry’s application was made unopposed.

Mngqibisa-Thusi said she was satisfied the commission had made out a case for the extension.

On Tuesday, the inquiry’s counsel, Paul Kennedy SC, said the commission was only asking for the period that had been lost because of the national lockdown last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

He said the inquiry had been "literally working night and day"— a reference to the evening sessions the inquiry has been holding — to finish.

Mngqibisi-Thusi said her only concern was that when she looked at the number of witnesses yet to be called by the commission, there might yet be a further extension application.

Kennedy said he could not give "an absolute guarantee" there would be no further application but the commission was "pulling out all the stops" to finish.

He said that if there was to be a further application, it would have to be justified and would require the most extreme of circumstances.