Accused 2 in the Meyiwa murder trial to deny allegations levelled against him.

By Lehlohonolo Lehana.

The lead investigator Brigadier Bongani Gininda cross-examination by the defence in the Senzo Meyiwa trial continued in the Pretoria High Court on Friday.

Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya, Bongani Ntanzi, Mthobisi Mncube, Mthokoziseni Maphisa, and Fisokuhle Ntuli are standing trial for the murder of the late football star.

They have all pleaded not guilty to all charges. 

They face charges of murder, attempted murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, possession of an unlicenced firearm, and possession of ammunition.

The defence attorney Advocate Sipho Ramosepele told the court that his client, Ntanzi will tell the court that he does not know the Buthelezi brothers and constable Sizwe Zungu, who testified in court.

“Accused two will tell the court that he doesn’t know Simphiwe Buthelezi, Qiniselani Buthelezi, and the constable Zungu who testified here.”

Simphiwe Buthelezi has in a statement alleged that Ntanzi is a gun smuggler popular for supplying hitmen with firearms and ammunition.

But Gininda, said it would be misleading for the accused to state that.

“If you look at his confession to the magistrate, he mentioned that as they were moving at some stage with a Polo Vivo, they met another Polo, and Simphiwe spoke to some of the accused,” said Gininda.

Ramosepele questioned if there were other people who were with the accused on the night before Meyiwa’s death.

“Who else was at the hostel to corroborate Zungu’s statement that there was a party, and they were drinking with the accused in the case?” Ramosepele asked.

Gininda said the Buthelezi brothers mentioned the names of the accused two in the case because they had been arrested for a crime in KwaNongoma, KwaZulu-Natal.

I took statements from the Buthelezi brothers. I will have to check, but I do recall that there was Jack Buthelezi.

“I am just not sure whether he was at the hostel on the day as well. There are so many statements that implicate the accused, individually and collectively, and so one will have to look,” he replied.

According to Ramosepele, the accused two had already told the court, and if need be, he can do it again, that he was arrested in connection with the Meyiwa case and not the KwaNongoma case.

“If you look at the occurrence book when he was detained on 19 June 2020, it clearly states the case of Nongoma and the notice of rights then for the Nongoma case. He was only processed for this matter on October 26, 2020,” Gininda argued.

However, Ramosepele stated that the accused two heard about his involvement in the Nongoma case for the first time at the Pretoria High Court. 

The trial continues on Monday.

Scroll to Top