By Lehlohonolo Lehana.
The Rooderpoort Magistrate’s Court in western Johannesburg is expected to deliver its judgment in the case involving the killing of eleven-year-old son Jayden-Lee Meek on Tuesday.
Tiffany Meek, 31 year-old woman, who is the mother of Jaydeen-Lee, is currently seeking bail.
Meek is accused of killing her own son Jayden-Lee and she was arrested on 11 June 2025.
Her son’s body was discovered on 14 May on the staircase of their home at Swazi’s Place complex in Fleurhof, Johannesburg.
She faces several charges, including murder, crimen injuria, defeating the ends of justice, and attempting to obstruct justice.
Both the prosecution and defence delivered their closing arguments in Meek’s bail application.
The State alleges that Meek killed her son, went back to her apartment between 4 am and 5 am on May 14, 2025, to remove his body. It was also submitted that she tried to incriminate the school transport driver.
“The totality of the evidence is circumstantial, but it is something that can be pursued to investigate. In this case, the State relies on a combination of forms of evidence, including indirect witness, human behaviour, physical evidence, and scientific evidence,” the State submitted.
The state reiterated its claim that Meek tampered with the scene by moving the deceased’s body from her flat to the staircase where it was found.
In conclusion, the state contended that Meek had not demonstrated exceptional circumstances to warrant bail.
“If she is released on bail, it will disturb public order. It will undermine public peace. She is a flight risk, and her life is in danger if she is to be released,” the State submitted.
Meek’s legal representative, Noven Naidoo argued that the state did not have a strong case against his client, pointing to the cross-examination of investigating officer Sergeant Nceba Diko, which, he said, revealed “many flaws” in the police investigation.
“There were contradictions, especially in respect of the identification of the uniform of the minor child,”he told the court.
Naidoo also contended that Meek posed no flight risk, as no evidence had been brought to suggest otherwise.
Meek has asked the court to grant her R5,000 bail and would be willing to adhere to any bail restrictions set.
The matter has been postponed until Tuesday, July 29, as Magistrate Annelin Africa is expected to deliver her judgment.
