By Lehlohonolo Lehana.
The M1 North has re-opened to traffic at the Booysens Road in Johannesburg, after an accident involving a bus and six other vehicles earlier this morning.
Preliminary report suggests the bus was travelling south on the M1 towards the Booysens Road off-ramp when a passenger reportedly had an altercation with the driver and grabbed the steering wheel. The bus subsequently lost control, veered off the M1 South, crossed the barricades and median, and collided with vehicles on the M1 North.
Law enforcement officials are on the scene.
Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department (JMPD) spokesperson Xolani Fihla said there were multiple injuries reported; however, there are no confirmed fatalities.
“The M1 North is opened to traffic at Booysens Road, after causing significant disruptions. Motorists are also advised to use Crownwood Road or Xavier Street as alternative routes from the M1 North”.
“Our priority is to ensure the safety of all road users and to clear the scene as quickly as possible.”
Authorities are working to restore normalcy to the affected area, but the investigation into the cause of the altercation and the subsequent crash is ongoing.
Last week, two young children were killed and their pregnant mother was in critical condition after they were hit by a car in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN). The horrific accident occurred on the N2 highway near Amatikulu late on Wednesday night.
IPSS Medical Rescue spokesperson Samantha Meyrick said they responded to a grim and shocking scene.
“On the arrival of paramedics, it was established that a pregnant lady and her two sons were hit by a vehicle whilst walking home.
“Sadly, both the boys, aged 6 and 10, were found to have sustained fatal injuries and were declared deceased on the scene. The vehicle was located a distance away from the scene,” Meyrick said.
