By Lehlohonolo Lehana.
President Cyril Ramaphosa says 30 June should be “business as usual” and security forces are fully prepared to deal with anyone who attempts to destabilise South Africa.
South Africa is bracing for protest action on 30 June by anti-illegal-immigration groups.
He was responding to a range of issues, including illegal immigration, in the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) on Thursday.
Ramaphosa said while government had identified illegal immigration as a significant challenge, South Africans should not take the law into their own hands.
“We have also said that responsibility for enforcing our laws rests with the state and the state law, and that no individual may stop any person to demand documentation or proof of identity or nationality, the President said.
He emphasised that South Africa remains committed to upholding human rights and protecting all people within its borders.
“There is no place for sexism, for xenophobia, for Afrophobia, or any other form of intolerance,” the President said.
The remarks come amid growing public debate around illegal immigration and calls by some groups for stronger action against undocumented foreign nationals.
Ramaphosa said government had already put measures in place to address illegal immigration through strengthened law enforcement, border security, immigration reforms and regional cooperation.
At the same time, he cautioned against actions that could fuel social tensions or undermine the rule of law.
“As government, we have put in place security and other measures to deal with any attempts to destabilise our country, whether by citizens or foreign nationals, and we will not tolerate any attempts to destabilise the country by anyone, whether marching or otherwise.”
The President said security agencies remain on high alert and are prepared to respond to any threats to public order.
“Our security forces are ready, and those who transgress the measures that we are putting in place will definitely meet the might of the law,” he said.
In 2008, xenophobic riots left more than 60 dead — some burned alive by mobs — and tens of thousands displaced. There were deadly riots again in 2019. This year, so far, a Malawian and several Mozambicans have been reported killed.
South Africa’s official unemployment rate is one of the worst in the world at over 30%, with youth unemployment at over 60%. They also blame the country’s high crime levels on foreigners. But the data shows neither problem can be blamed solely on immigration, but rather years of economic stagnation and government mismanagement.
