Tiafoe avoids late drama, beats Musetti to reach Cincinnati semis.

By Janina Nuno Rios, Reuters.

Photo Credit: IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect.

Frances Tiafoe overcame Lorenzo Musetti 7-6(2) 7-5 on Friday to reach the Cincinnati Open semi-finals, setting up an all-American clash with Brandon Nakashima as the U.S. Open approaches.

Tiafoe needed more than two ​hours and four match points to complete the win over 10th seed Musetti on a humid night ‌in Ohio, with nearby thunderstorms threatening but never interrupting play.

Tiafoe, seeking to revive a summer disrupted by early exits in Washington and Montreal as well as a wrist injury, played aggressively throughout, firing 18 winners before sealing victory with an unreturnable serve.

Tiafoe owns a 6-1 career ​record against Nakashima but will face a player in confident form after Nakashima rallied from a break ​down in the deciding set to beat fellow American and sixth seed Taylor Fritz 7-6(9) 4-6 ⁠6-3.

Nakashima has now reached the last four at back-to-back Masters 1000 events after his run in Montreal last week, capping ​another impressive turnaround on the North American hard courts ahead of the U.S. Open, which starts later this month.

Nakashima, who ​came into the match with a 1-4 record against Fritz, edged a tight first set, with both players dominant on serve as the match went to a thrilling tiebreak.

After trading leads and mini-breaks, Nakashima finally converted his fifth set point when Fritz sent a ball just ​long.

Fritz responded strongly, using aggressive returning to break Nakashima early in the second before closing out the set with an ​ace to force a decider.

Fritz capitalised on his opponent’s unforced errors to break serve and move ahead 3-2 in the decider, but ‌the momentum ⁠swung back almost immediately as Nakashima recovered from 30-0 down to convert his second break point of the match and level at 3-3.

Nakashima then won the final three games as Fritz’s errors accumulated and the 27th seed’s confidence continued to grow, serving out a win that extended the hottest run of his career and gave him his fourth top-10 victory ​of the season.

Bejek Continues Giant-Killing Run

In the women’s draw, 20-year-old ⁠Sara Bejlek followed her upset of world number one Aryna Sabalenka with a comeback win over American Madison Keys 3-6 6-4 7-6(5) on Friday.

The unseeded Czech will play in ​her first WTA 1000 semi-final after coming through a tense deciding-set tiebreak.

“I believe in ​myself much more ⁠than I ever have before,” Bejlek said in an on-court interview.

She will next face American Coco Gauff, who eased past Ukrainian Marta Kostyuk 6-2 6-2 in just 70 minutes.

The 22-year-old reached her second Cincinnati semi-final and remains on course for a repeat ⁠of her ​2023 title triumph.

“Obviously the next match is going to be tough against ​Sara,” said Gauff, who advanced to her fifth WTA 1000 semi-final of the year. She’s had some incredible wins. But I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

Scroll to Top