Carrim’s faces prosecution if he fails to appear before Madlanga Inquiry.

By Lehlohonolo Lehana.

The controversial businessman Suleiman Carrim has been postponed for a third time  at the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry on Thursday after claiming to be in poor health. 

Carrim’s legal team briefed the commission that he is unwell. 

The Commission’s evidence leader Matthew Chaskalson said they asked that Carrim make himself available for an examination by a specialist from the commission.

Carrim hasn’t responded or complied with the request. 

Chaskalson indicates that if the individual undergoes examination by a specialist, they will not be called to testify; instead, the commission will render findings based on the evidence already presented.

He stated that should Carrim decline examination by an independent specialist, they would request the commission to recommend his prosecution and to issue findings based on the evidence presented.

But Carrim’s lawyer, Kameel Premhid, argued that such a recommendation would be prejudicial to his client.

“There are other concerns that we have. There are potentially less intrusive means that commission has available to it other than to subject our client to medical examination by a medical expert that he does not necessarily consent to – it would be a compelled examination.”

Carrim has been accused of accepting R2.5-million for helping criminally accused Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala obtain payments related to his R360-million SAPS contract, which was later cancelled.

Chaskalson said they expected Carrim to testify and be questioned on July 15. 

“If he is not here, and is still on his version, ‘medically unfit’, we will no longer seek his appearance on the 15th of July. But if he has subjected himself to independent examination by a specialist appointed by the commission, and that independent specialist confirms he is incapacitated to testify, we won’t ask for him to be called again. But we would ask the commission to make its findings in relation to all matters relevant to the heard evidence of Carrim,” he said. 

Carrim faces possible prosecution under the Madlanga Commissions Act if he refuses an independent medical exam.

The commission’s chairperson, Justice Mbuyiseli Madlanga, postponed Carrim’s to July 15, 2026.

Meanwhile Lesiba Nku, who claims to be a police informant, has presented his version of events relating to the botched operation in Aeroton, south of Joburg, which led to the seizure of more than 700 kilograms of cocaine.

He claims that he tipped off Gauteng Traffic Police Inspector Samuel Mashaba and Lt-Gen. Sindile Mfazi about a truck transporting the cocaine consignment from Durban.

Nku told the commission he was introduced to Mfazi because of his intelligence-gathering abilities and had previously assisted police with information.

When Commission Chair Madlanga asked how often he had supplied information to Mfazi, Nku said it had happened only once.

He acknowledged sharing information with Mashaba on several occasions.

In testimony previously heard behind closed doors and later released in redacted form, Witness J told the commission that cellphone records, encrypted messages and tracking data placed Nku at the centre of events surrounding a truck that transported cocaine from Durban to Gauteng.

Scroll to Top