Mchunu calls on community to join efforts to tackle illegal mining and restore order.

By Lehlohonolo Lehana.

Minister of Police Senzo Mchunu met with law enforcement in Stilfotein, North West province, as well as community and religious leaders on Friday in a bid to bring illegal miners back to the surface.

Mchunu and his deputy, Cassel Mathale, visited the area on Friday as part of an oversight inspection into the illegal mining crisis.  

His visit to the troubled area comes just over a day after Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni swore that the state would not assist in the crisis and that, instead, they would “smoke” the miners out.

More than 1,000 illegal miners have already resurfaced in recent weeks as the police have cracked down, and at least one dead body has been brought up.

It was unclear if those remaining at the Buffelsfontein mine, in Stilfontein, were unwilling or unable to get out of the shaft, which descends vertically for more than 2 km (1.2 miles) underground.

Police and community members stood around the rocky entrance, where a pulley had been set up to hoist men out.

Illegal mining has plagued South Africa for decades through small-time pilfering and organised criminal networks. Many of those who do the risky work of breaking into old industrial mines are immigrants from neighbouring countries.

Mchunu called on the community to join efforts to tackle illegal mining and restore order.  

“This is the first time we’ve conducted a full assessment and gathered evidence. Moving forward, collaboration between the community, law enforcement, and private sector is crucial,” Mchunu said.  

He emphasised that law enforcement would continue its operations to ensure safety and stability.  

“We cannot ignore the importance of life and safety, but at the same time, unlawful activities must be stopped to bring stability to this area,” Mchunu added.

A second meeting was set to begin shortly at the Stilfontein Police Station to discuss more solutions with local authorities.  

The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) pledged to investigate the police for depriving the miners of food and water.

It said there is concern that the government’s operation could have an impact on the right to life.

Illegal mining is a lucrative business across many of South Africa’s mining towns.

Since December last year, nearly 400 high-calibre firearms, thousands of bullets, uncut diamonds and money have been confiscated from illegal miners.

This is part of an intensive police and military operation to stop the practice that has severe environmental implications.

President Cyril Ramaphosa meanwhile extended Operation Prosper, which is aimed at fighting illegal mining and associated crime.

This is the third extension of its kind and will be valid until March 2025.

The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) appeared before the Joint Standing Committee on Defence on Friday, outlining the army’s state of readiness.

A contingent of 1,100 SANDF members will be deployed in cooperation with police to fight against illegal mining and related criminality across the country.

The deployment has already taken effect, having been extended for five months from 1 November 2024 to 31 March next year.  

The soldiers will focus on the interior provinces of the country, with members making their way to the North West on Friday as part of the police minister’s visit to Stillfontein.

This phase of Operation Prosper, which was initiated during the sixth parliament, will come at a cost of just over R140 million.

Scroll to Top