State believes accused 1 & 2 in the Meyiwa trial freely provided their confession statement.

By Lehlohonolo Lehana.

The State in the slain former soccer star Senzo Meyiwa’s case believes accused one and two, Muzi Sibiya and Bongani Ntazi, freely provided their confession statement. 

The court heard the closing arguments of a trial-within-trial in the North Gauteng High Court in Tshwane on Wednesday, 6 March. 

State Prosecutor George Baloyi, in his closing arguments, told the court that the police would not have had enough time to influence them. 

“How will the police have come up with the version in the confession? How will the police have known what to write in those confessions?” he asked.

Baloyi reiterated that Sibiya and Ntanzi’s version of events must be rejected. 

“The version of the accused ought to be rejected.” 

The pair previously told the court that they were assaulted and forced to sign confession statements they didn’t write. 

Judge Ratha Mokgoatlheng granted the defence request to have the trial-within-a-trial restarted. 

When it started in October 2023, it was meant to determine the admissibility of confession statements following allegations by Sibiya and Ntanzi. 

Meyiwa was fatally shot by armed intruders at the Vosloorus family home of his then-girlfriend, singer Kelly Khumalo, on 26 October 2014.

It was previously heard that docket 375 recommended that Khumalo and the six other people who were inside the house be charged with murder and defeating the ends of justice.

Sibiya, Bongani Ntanzi, Mthobisi Mncube, Mthokoziseni Maphisa and Fisokuhle Ntuli are on trial for Meyiwa’s murder.

All five men have pleaded not guilty to the former Orlando Pirates goalkeeper’s killing. The closing arguments will continue Thursday, 7 March. 

Watch Live in the video below:

Video Courtesy of ENCA.

Scroll to Top