By Lehlohonolo Lehana.
Stella Ndabeni has been appointed acting health minister in the place of Dr Aaron Motsoaledi, who remains on sick leave, the presidency announced.
The Presidency made the announcement on Sunday, 23 August 2026.
The appointment, made under section 98 of the Constitution, takes effect from 24 August and runs until 30 September 2026, said presidential spokesperson Vincent Magwenya.
Magwenya said, Ndabeni will perform all the functions of the Health Minister during this period.
Ndabeni currently serves as Minister of Small Business Development. The move ensures continuity in the Health portfolio while Motsoaledi recovers, added Magwenya.
No further details on the nature of illness or expected duration of his absence beyond the stated period were provided.
Motsoaledi is serving his second stint as Health Minister (having previously held the portfolio from 2009 to 2019).
Prior to his appointment as Minister of Health, Motsoaledi had served as a Chairperson of the Sekhukhune Advice Office from 1986 to 1994; as a Chairperson of Hlahlolanang Health and Nutrition Education Project in 1989; as a Deputy Chairperson of the African National Congress (ANC) in the then Northern Transvaal from 1991 to 1992; as Head of the ANC Elections Commission for Limpopo Province in 1994; as Head of the ANC Economic and Infrastructure Desk and as Head of the ANC Research and Briefing of election Task Team in Limpopo in 1994.
Motsoaledi has also served as a member of the Limpopo Provincial Legislature from 1994 to 2009; as a member of the Limpopo Provincial Executive Council (MEC) for Education from 1994 to 1997; MEC for Transport from 1998 to 1999 and MEC for Agriculture, Land and Environment in 1999.
