By Lehlohonolo Lehana.
South African Police Services (SAPS) confirmed a deadly shooting on Saturday night that left four people dead and three others injured in Reiger Park, Boksburg, East of Johannesburg.
Two police officers attached to the Anti-Gang Unit and two civilians were shot and killed in an ambush at about 7.30pm on Friday, 07 August 2026.
Fullview understands the police officers were part of a crime prevention team conducting patrols in the area.
Preliminary reports indicate that upon hearing gunshots, Anti-Gang Unit members drove towards the source of the shots, where they were ambushed.
SAPS spokesperson Athlenda Mathe said, the Anti-Gang Unit members were part of a crime prevention team conducting patrols in the area and driving towards the scene of a shooting when they were ambushed.
Mathe said, maximum resources, including specialised investigative units, have been mobilised to hunt down the killers.
The Provincial Commissioner of the Police in Gauteng Lieutenant General Tommy Mthombeni has mobilised all the necessary resources including Crime Intelligence, Tracking Team, Crime Scene Management as well as the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation.
Acting National Commissioner Puleng Dimpane has urged the community of Reiger Park and surrounding areas to stand with the police and assist investigators in bringing to justice those responsible for the brutal murder of two Anti-Gang Unit members.
“We know that someone saw what happened. Someone knows who pulled the trigger, who planned this attack, or where the suspects are hiding. We are pleading with the community not to protect ruthless criminals who have no regard for human life. Your silence only emboldens those who continue to terrorise your community,” said Dimpane.
She said the deceased were fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, sons and daughters who left their homes every day knowing they may not return.
“Today, two families are mourning because these brave officers answered a call for help. Stand with the families of these fallen heroes. Stand for justice. Stand against criminals who continue to rob communities of peace and safety. If you know something, say something. Help us ensure that those responsible are arrested and face the full might of the law,” she said.
Mthombeni and Gauteng premier Panyaza Lesufi are at the scene, which remains active. Lesufi said, this act of violence demonstrates utter disregard for the rule of law.
“If you attack the police, you attack the State, it’s a declaration of war,” Lesufi said, adding that he had confidence the police would do everything in their power to arrest the suspects.
Last year six victims were killed and three others wounded in what police described as a drive-by shooting on the evening of November 1, 2025, in Williams Road in Reiger Park, Boksburg.
The public can report any criminal activities on the Crime Stop Line at 08600 10111 or anonymously provide tip-offs on MySAPS App. This call centre can be contacted to anonymously to report criminal activities. This service is available 24 hours a day.
