By Lehlohonolo Lehana.
Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) has been rocked by disruptive protests since last week over its proposed financial recovery plan for next year, which has since been withdrawn.
The university introduced a registration fee of up to R7,000 for non-NSFAS students.
CPUT’s council announced on 12 August 2026, that the financial recovery plan would be withdrawn “for further explanation, clarification and thorough consultation”.
But the student protests continued, with the Student Representative Council (SRC) submitted a 20-page memorandum to Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Higher Education.
Demands included maintenance and refurbishment of all CPUT-owned residences, the release of academic transcripts for students who owe money, and the reduction of residence fees that exceed the NSFAS accommodation limit.
Since protests erupted last week, buildings on the District 6 and Bellville campuses have been torched, fire extinguishers were set off under doors in residences, and a security guard was hit on the head by a brick and ended up in hospital.
CPUT management said the protests caused significant damage to property across three campuses, including broken windows, a burnt vehicle, classroom damage, flooded buildings, damaged security and safety equipment, perimeter fencing, a damaged cafeteria, and harm to the Ikamva building.
“The unrest escalated when the Old Education Building at the Bellville campus was set alight with damage estimated at between R1.5m and R2m, said management.”
The university temporarily suspended its academic program, shifted staff to remote work, and ordered student residences to evacuate to de-escalate the violence.
Central SRC President, Liyabulela Gela, says the student leadership supports independent investigations into fires reported at the institution, including incidents dating back to 2023.
Gela was speaking during a media briefing on Friday, 21 August 2026.
He insisted that the SRC wants credible investigations into the causes of the fires and how previous cases were handled.
“Contrary to how the media and some of the members of the public and the university have portrayed us, the Central SRC does not support us all, and we condemn without reservation the burning or destruction of the university proper,” Gela said.
The Higher Education Minister Buti Manamela has directed a departmental team to intervene, by establishing the facts behind the grievances, identifying matters that can be resolved immediately and helping the parties agree on a clear, time-bound process to deal with outstanding issues.
“The immediate priority is to bring the parties around the table, establish the facts and find a way forward that allows the academic programme to resume,” Manamela said.
He said students had the right to raise concerns about access to higher education, affordability and living and learning conditions, but stressed that these issues should be addressed through dialogue.
“Those concerns must be heard and addressed through constructive engagement. Equally, no student or staff member should have to fear for their safety or be prevented from exercising their right to study or work,” he said.
Manamela condemned the destruction of university property, violence, intimidation and any conduct that places students, staff and other members of the university community at risk.
He said the disruption could not be allowed to continue indefinitely.
“We cannot allow an impasse to become a permanent disruption to the academic year. We need responsible leadership from all sides and a commitment to resolving these matters through dialogue rather than confrontation,” Manamela said.
