Staff Reporter.
The Judicial Commission of Inquiry into allegations of State Capture will hear Bosasa-related testimony on Monday from Pretoria Chief Magistrate Desmond Nair and former Deputy Minister of Justice and Correctional Services, Thabang Makwetla.
Makwetla says it has “pained” him that he was appearing before an inquiry that is probing state capture, corruption, and fraud because of former Bosasa employee Richard le Roux.
He appeared before the commission on Monday to be re-examined by his legal representative.
Makwetla was implicated by Le Roux who previously said he was tasked with installing security upgrades at various ministers’ and government officials’ homes.
Le Roux spoke about “special projects” he undertook on the instruction of various Bosasa directors, including CEO Gavin Watson, chief operations officer Angelo Agrizzi, Trevor Mathenjwa, Syvion Dlamini, and Papa Leshabane.
“This thing has always like really pained me, that I am here before the commission because of Mr Le Roux and this commission is a commission that deals with state capture, is a commission that deals with corruption, is a commission that deals with fraud in government.
“The person who says I am guilty of those things, does not know where I worked, even as he was appearing before the commission.”
Makwetla further told the commission that no one had come to the commission making allegations of his involvement in state capture, corruption, and fraud.
He said the only reason he was appearing before the commission was because a, “… technician who was head of a team that installed security features I asked for came here to say I am among the people [against] who the allegations made is that they are involved in state capture”.
“I wish to assure everyone that I am not guilty of any wrongdoing in the entire period during [which] I have been a deputy minister at correctional services…”
Below is the live stream:
Video Courtesy of SABC.
